We are completely booked out! Therefore the registration is closed. The event will take place at the 10th of October 2019.
Scientist work in a complex environment with various areas of conflicts. Many of these conflicts arise from ethical questions. It is important for scientists to elaborate these ethical questions in order to better understand their work environment and to improve the value of the science performed. At the ABS Animal Science and Ethic Day 2019, various ethical questions concerning the daily scientific life are discussed, with a main focus on animal experiments.
Since it is important to discuss about these topics, there will be Workshops in the second part of the program, where all participiants are invited to actively join the conversation.
The ABS Animal Science and Ethic Day 2019 is fully accredited by the Federal Food Safety and Veterinary Office FSVO as 1 day continuous education for principal investigators (“Versuchsleiter/-innen”) and their experimentators (“Versuchsdurchführende”).
Please find here the Fyler for the event.
- 08:00 – 08:25 Registration
- 08:25 – 08:30 Welcome Reception
Morning-Session 1: Animal Welfare and Statistics
- 08:30 – 09:00 Dr. Alessandra Bergadano: 25 caring steps to welfare and success for my in-vivo research
- 09:00 – 09:30 Dr. Paulin Jirkof: Pain assessment and pain treatment for laboratory rodents
- 09:30 – 10:00 Gilles Kratzer: Study design, power analysis and sample size calculation (Theory)
Morning-Session 2: Alternative Methods to Animal Experiments and Biomedical Sciences in Society
- 10:30 – 11:00 Prof. Dr. Alex Dommann: How to improve in vitro models
- 11:00 – 11:30 Dr. Barbara Drasler: Predicitive 3D epithelial tissue models – opportunities and limitations
- 11:30 – 12:00 Bettina Zimmermann: Genetics in the public discourse
Afternoon-Session 1: Workshops
In order to enable a good environment for discussions during the workshops, four groups will be formed in the afternoon. All groups will visit each workshop once for 30 minutes in a rotation principle. The workshops are organized by members of the think tank “Reatch”.
- Workshop 1 Jonas Wittwer and Lara Gafner: Science and Society
Please find here the official handout for the workshop: http://biomedicalsciences.ch/science-and-society/
- Workshop 2 Dr. Pierre-Luc Germain Ethics and animal experimentation
- Workshop 3 Servan Grüniger Reproducibility of animal experiments
- Workshop 4 Gilles Kratzer Study design, power analysis and sample size calculation (Hands-on)
Afternoon-Session 2: Key-Note Lecture
- 16:00 – 17:00 Prof. Dr. Hanno Würbel: Harm-benefit analysis in animal research: scientific, ethical and practical challenges
Date and Location
The event will take place at Thursday, the 10th of October 2019.
The morning sessions and the Key Note Lecture will take place in the Kinderklinik EG, Kursraum 1, 181.
The workshops will take place at Murtenstrasse 35, H-Floor (Seminar rooms).
Registration & Fees
Registration Deadline: 26. September 2019 11:59AM
Registration Fee: 40.- CHF (30.- CHF for ABS and Reatch members)
The fees include the ABS Animal Science and Ethic Day 2019, Coffee and Drinks during breaks, as well as food during lunch break
1 Day Continuous Education for Principal Investigators (Versuchsleitende Personen) by FSVO
1 Day Continuous Education for Experimentators (Versuchsdurchführende Personen) by FSVO
This event is organized in collaboration with the think tank Reatch:
The registration is closed.
For additional information contact email@example.com